For children with physical, emotional, mental, or learning disabilities, a traditional education approach just won't cut it. We can show you innovative strategies, classroom technologies, and other skills to help you teach these unique learners.
Because of the nature of this Special Education (Collaborative Teacher) program, it's important that you identify your specific career goals and interests so you can tailor your curriculum accordingly. For instance, if you want to work with younger children, you should concentrate in early childhood special education. If you'd rather focus on reading, K-12, or autism spectrum disorders, however, the collaborative teacher concentration is your better option.
Either way, we want to make sure you're on track to earning a Class A certificate, and we have two paths to get you there. If you enter the program with a Class B teaching certificate, we'll put you in our traditional master's program. If you don't have previous teaching certifications, you'll need to take a few extra education courses to get caught up. Either way, we want you to leave here with the skills you need to give unique learners the education they deserve.
- Special education teachers earned an average of $58,980 per year in 2017 (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics).
- Six out of the last nine Alabama Teachers of the Year are The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Education alumni.
- Formative and Summative Assessment
- Program and Lesson Planning
- Language and Communication Facilitation
- Sensory, Health and Physical Methods
- Positive Behavioral Supports
- Assistive and Instructional Technology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Special Education Teaching View 3390 other Masters in Education in United States
- o be eligible for seeking initial teacher certification at a masters level, applicants must have an undergraduate degree with a 2.75 GPA on their transcript from a regionally accredited college.
- They must have passed the Basic Skills test and the Praxis II exam in the targeted teaching field and also met other criteria stipulated by the ALSDE. Upon completing the AMP, candidates earn alternative Class A certification in this teaching field.
International39171 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1187 USD per credit during 12 months.
National36597 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1109 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State15444 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 468 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.