The Special Education (Mild or Moderate Disabilities) program of California State University Los Angeles is a 30 unit program that offers in-depth study of issues related to students with learning disability, intellectual disability, and emotional disturbance. Many of the courses are offered in tandem with the mild-moderate credential so that students may efficiently purse the M.A. and the credential at the same time. It is also offered independently of the credential.
As graduates of Masters in Special Education with an Option in Mild/Moderate disabilities one may find work as:
- Special education teachers at the K-12 level
- Inclusion support specialists in public and private schools
- Behavior support specialists in public and private schools
- Developers of special education curriculum
- Lead teachers in special education
- Providers of professional development and in-service workshops in response-to-intervention, behavior support, curriculum differentiation
- Authors of textbook
- Consultants for publishing companies
- Develop an understanding of current issues and practices in curriculum and behavior support for individuals with learning disabilities, intellectual disability, and emotional disturbance, and the ability to inquire into these topics.
- Develop knowledge and skills in educational research; develop analysis and reflection skills and written and oral communication.
- Identify and analyze topics of importance in current educational conversations and debates for critical issues related to special education.
- Deepen their commitment to their students and their students’ learning of academic and functional curricula.
- Increase their confidence to utilize a variety of teaching methodologies.
- Improve their ability to manage and assess their students’ progress in the curriculum.
- Augment their capacity to think reflectively about their teaching practices.
- Increase their capacity to become an agent of change in the field of special education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Educating Individuals with Emotional/Behavioral Disorders
- Advanced Methods in Mild/Moderate Disabilities
- Research in Mild/Moderate Disabilities
- Advanced Study of Literacy Problems and Specialized Interventions for Students with Mild/Moderate Disabilities
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesSpecial Education View 726 other Masters in Special Education in United States
- In addition to university requirements for admission to graduate study, applicants must have a minimum of a 2.75 grade point average in their last 60 semester units attempted, must have completed (or complete concurrently) requirements for a California credential in special education or equivalent (this requirement may be waived for personnel in related fields, such as nurses, occupational or physical therapists, or speech language pathologists), must complete all division application procedures, and must obtain approval from the division.
- A number of scholarships and traineeships are available to qualified students. Interested students should contact the division office.
International10592 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10592 USD per year during 12 months.
National10592 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10592 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State8216 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8216 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.