This Magazine Journalism course from City, University of London is suitable for anyone with a first degree in any subject who wants to be a first class magazine journalist. Students must have excellent general knowledge and be prepared to work across print and digital platforms with a variety of content. Students will have passion for communicating in words and pictures - and an appetite for fun and hard work is essential.
This hugely successful and well-established course prepares students for a wide range of careers in magazine and features journalism, both print and online, from glossy consumer titles to international news journals.
Skills taught range from writing long form investigative features to arts and culture reviews; polished profile pieces to podcasts and video editing for online; designing and subbing print and online pages and picture editing.
There is a strong entrepreneurial angle to the course and students learn how to research, create and launch new media products and to engage audiences. Accredited by the Professional Publishers Association, students learn from magazine and specialist journalists and around 30 visiting editors, commissioning editors and editorial directors from the UK’s leading publishing houses.
Here are a selection of jobs obtained by Magazine students within four months of finishing at City in July 2019.
- Editorial Assistant - The Times Magazine
- Social Community Editor - Dazed
- Reporter - Law Society Journal
- Acting Junior Writer - Women’s Health
- Junior Digital Writer - Stylist magazine
- Digital Editorial Assistant - Delicious magazine
- Reporter - Wareable
- Junior Writer - MoneyWeek
- Junior Snapchat Producer - PinkNews
- Reporter (features) - New Civil Engineer
- News Producer - Globo International
- City Hall reporter BBC’s Local Democracy Service
- Assistant Editor - Early Years Educator magazine
- Online Assistant - Country & Town House.
This degree is accredited by the Professional Publishers Association (PPA).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Ethics, Rules and Standards
- Journalism Portfolio
- Editorial Production
- UK Media Law
- The Magazine Business
- Political Headlines
- Data Journalism
- 10 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesCreative Writing Journalism Media Studies & Mass Media View 130 other Masters in Journalism in United Kingdom
You should hold an upper second class honours degree or the equivalent from an international institution.
- You should also have a minimum of two weeks’ work experience in magazines or newspapers. This includes professional online publications and regional media. Student journalism or self published journalism, such as a good quality blog, is also considered relevant and may be enough to secure a place on the MA.
International21230 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21230 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 10 months.
National10610 GBP/fullTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10610 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 10 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.