The Food and Nutrition - Community Nutrition and Dietetic Internship graduate program at Southern Illinois University emphasizes health promotion and disease prevention, along with primary and/or ambulatory health care. Graduates are empowered with the education and 1200 hours of supervised practice necessary to successfully pass the credentialing exam to become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist.
The internship program emphasizes health promotion and disease prevention, along with primary and/or ambulatory health care. Some settings for rotations include university health facilities, public health departments, ambulatory care clinics, community hospitals, long-term care facilities, schools, and industry.
The internship offers three rotations for the each of the three areas of practice:
- 8 weeks in food service management
- 12 weeks in clinical/medical nutrition therapy
- 10 weeks in community
The intern will be assigned a rotation schedule based upon the sites listed below. The rotation schedule will be given to the intern in late spring of their first year. Based on the sites available, the intern may be required to relocate for at least one of their dietetic internship rotation sites.
- Community and Public Health Nutrition
- Public Health Analytics
- Research Methods
- Dietetic Internship Prep Class
- Advanced Nutrition Assessments & Education
- U.S. Health System
- Advanced Food Service Management
- Advanced Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Nutrition and Obesity
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesNutrition & Dietetics Food Sciences View 369 other Masters in Nutrition & Dietetics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Southern Illinois University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university (completed within last 10 years).
- Official transcript verifying the degree was conferred.
- Completion of a Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD), accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetic (ACEND) or evidence of completing all but one semester of coursework in an undergraduate DPD.
- Grade point average (GPA) 3.0 or higher is required (on scale with A=4.0).
- Completion of Graduate Record Examination (GRE) within the last 5 years.
- Applications are scored based on interest in community nutrition (as stated in personal statement letter), GPA, GRE score, work and volunteer experience, reference letters, extracurricular activities and Skype interview.
International35213 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35213 USD per year during 24 months.
National35213 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35213 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State14085 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14085 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Carbondale
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.