About School Counseling at The University of Iowa
Upon graduation from our nationally-ranked and accredited school counseling MA program, our school counseling graduates are already on their journey to becoming advocates, leaders, and change-agents in K-12 schools.
Your program advisor will help guide you through the requirements for degree completion.
Once students graduate, they are immediately granted a K-12 license to practice school counseling in Iowa schools. We have a 100% placement rate and maintain strong relationships with school administrators, school counseling supervisors, and state and national counseling organizations.
- Professional School Counselor
- Applied Microcounseling
- Theories of Counseling and Human Development Across the Life Span
- Multiculturalism in Helping Professions
- Career Development
- School Culture and Classroom Management for School Counselors
- Counseling Children and Adolescents in Schools
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- After this date, applications will be reviewed as they are received by the program faculty until the student cohort has been finalized.
DisciplinesEducation Counselling View 4337 other Masters in Education in United States
- A U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- English Proficiency Requirements
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- A statement of purpose, including a statement of your personal career objectives and successful experiences working with children and/or adolescents
- A CV or Résumé
- Three letters of recommendation
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
International31254 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31254 USD per year during 24 months.
National32887 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32887 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State13939 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13939 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.