To begin, we want to get you started conducting research with faculty as soon as possible. We'll expose you to a wide variety of topics, from classical antiquity to post-war Europe, and geographic specializations such as the U.S., Asia, Latin America, Europe, and the Middle East.
In addition to your coursework, you'll choose one of two concentrations. Plan I (thesis option) requires that you write a thesis based on original research. Your 36 credit hours will include two core courses and two elective courses, as well as three seminars regarding U.S. history plus three seminars about non-U.S. history. We recommend this plan if you intend to one day pursue a Ph.D. Plan II (non-thesis option) requires you to take an extra elective in addition to the rest of your coursework. This is the better plan for you if you would like to one day become a teacher.
The graduate History program from The University of Alabama at Birmingham provides students an opportunity to work closely with faculty who are active research scholars in a wide variety of fields.
- Students are eligible for the Joseph Dudley and Helen H. Sutter Scholarship in Southern History as well as the David Hart White Prize in History.
- Graduates work as educators, archivists, editors, and directors of historic sites in Birmingham, such as Sloss Furnaces and Rickwood Field.
- Historical Research and Writing
- Thesis Research
- Seminar in the Civil War Period
- Seminar in Modern Europe
- Seminar in Russian/Soviet History
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 310 other Masters in Modern History in United States
- Complete and submit online application.
- Please ask the individuals from whom you request references to submit them online via the Apply Yourself system. Electronic submission is the preferred method. However, if your referees prefer to mail a recommendation letter, it should be mailed to the address of the department or program to which you are applying.
- Submit official TOEFL test score (for international applicants only)
International42732 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1187 USD per credit during 12 months.
National39924 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1109 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State16848 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 468 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.