To be a successful genetic counselor, you need to have a thorough understanding of medical genetics and psychosocial expertise to assist individuals and families. Your curriculum will include genetic counseling fundamentals, advanced medical genetics, and counseling skills.
You will have unique clinical opportunities in pediatric, prenatal, cancer, and many other specialty clinics as well as research and laboratory genetic counseling. Finally, you will complete a plan II project, where you will design and implement a genetic counseling-related research project. With access to our many facilities here at UAB, you will have multiple options for both on-site and off-site rotations and lab experiences.
- The University of Alabama at Birmingham is leading the way in bringing precision medicine into health care with the Hugh Kaul Precision Medicine Institute and the NIH "All of Us" Research Program.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects 29% employment growth for genetic counselors between 2016 and 2026.
- Professional Skills Development
- Survival Spanish for Health Professionals
- Research Design and Statistics
- Theories of Individual Counseling
- Genetics in Medicine
- Prenatal Genetics, Embryology and Teratology
- Principles of Cancer and Adult Genetics and Counseling
- 21 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCognitive Sciences Counselling Psychology View 668 other Masters in Counselling Psychology in United States
- NMS registration number.
- Personal Statement: A statement that highlights your motivation to become a genetic counselor, and emphasizes your prior and current experiences, and how they will benefit you in the profession. (No more than 500 words.)
- Official Transcripts: Students should send official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. We recommend students send transcripts that include their most recent Fall grades.
- Letters of Recommendation: Three (3) letters of recommendation.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test scores from the Verbal, Quantitative, and Analytic sections: For the 2021 admissions cycle, the GRE is not required and will not be reviewed. It has not been determined if the GRE will be required for the 2022 admissions cycle.
- A minimum cumulative undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.0 (A = 4.0).
- Resume or CV
International37984 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1187 USD per credit during 21 months.
National35488 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1109 USD per credit during 21 months.
In-State14976 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 468 USD per credit during 21 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.