The MSEd in Literacy Education - Grades 5-12 from The City University of New York leads to certification in Literacy Grades 5-12.
- Minimum GPA for Retention - Graduate students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 to remain at Hunter College. Students whose grades fall below this standard are required to raise their GPAs to at least 3.0 within one semester.
- No F in the first two semesters—students who receive a grade of F or WU in any course in the first two semesters will not be allowed to continue in the program.
- Progress holds due to Incomplete Grades - Students with two or more INCs will not be allowed to register for any courses.
Key Course Performance Standards
- Students must receive a grade of at least a B in key program courses.
- Students who receive a grade of F or WU in key program courses may not continue in the program.
- Key Program Courses are identified by the label (KC) in the course title.
- An overall GPA of 3.0.
- A grade of B or better in EDLIT 740 and EDLIT 756.
- An “achieved the standard” rating, or better, on the Professional Teaching Portfolio during final presentation to the Master’s in Literacy Portfolio Review Committee.
- Maintain a valid and appropriate NYS certification.
- Complete the Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) workshop.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Language, Literacy and Culture, Grades 1-12
- Survey of Instructional Approaches in Literacy Education: Grades K-12
- Leadership in Literacy (KC)
- Literacy Research for Change
- Practicum in Literacy (KC)
- Methods of Teaching Writing: Grades 5-12
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Languages Literature View 653 other Masters in Literature in United States
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0 or master’s degree with a GPA of at least 3.5.
- NYS initial, professional, or permanent certification as a Middle Childhood (5-9) or Adolescent (7-12) content teacher.
- On-site writing sample after the application is reviewed.
- A letter of recommendation from a supervisor.
- Submission of scores on the Graduate Record Examination, except applicants who are certified teacher or school administrators and hold a graduate degree.
International25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25650 USD per year during 12 months.
National25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25650 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11090 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11090 USD per year during 12 months.
- Resident: $470 per credit
- Non-resident: $855 per credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.