Food safety and quality are essential to the success of all food manufacturing companies and critical for New Zealand’s economic success. Food manufacturers need absolute confidence in the safety and quality of their products. You can choose to study full time or part time with a programme supported with an on-line learning environment.
In big demand by employers around the world
Food companies have a growing need for expertise in food safety and quality. If they do not have this expertise themselves, consultants with the relevant qualifications provide them with services.
You could start your own consultancy business. Or to work for the government department overseeing food safety in your country.
Work on real food industry issues
The Master in Food Safety and Quality from Massey University provides practical skills as well as a depth of knowledge. These enable you to manage problems in food manufacturing. You’ll also develop preventative tools designed to provide confidence in the quality and safety of food.
At Massey University, you will have access to the latest modern food processing and analytical equipment to undertake research that is applied and practical to the food industry.
- A fully equipped pilot plant. This operates under a risk management programme to enable the export of foods of assured safety and quality.
- Specialist equipment for both thermal and non-thermal processing.
- Laboratories equipped to analyse microbial, chemical and foreign matter contaminants, including a PC2 laboratory enabling you to work with foodborne pathogens.
- Instruments to measure food composition.
Massey guarantees you research expertise in meat, fish and dairy technology, fruit and vegetable postharvest storage and processing, food formulation, additives and ingredients.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Food Packaging, Preservation and Storage
- Emerging Technologies for the Food Industry
- Food Quality Safety and Innovation
- Advanced Nutrition and Disease
- Big Public Health Issues
- Quality System Development and Management
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesNutrition & Dietetics Food Sciences View 12 other Masters in Nutrition & Dietetics in New Zealand
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
To enter the Master of Food Safety and Quality you will have been awarded or qualified for:
- a bachelor with honours degree in food engineering, food science or food technology, or equivalent, or
- a bachelor’s degree in engineering, science, technology, or equivalent and completed at least 36 months relevant professional experience in the food or biological products industry.
You will also provide a curriculum vitae with your application indicating relevant professional experience in the food or biological products industry.
You will need to provide:
- a curriculum vitae with your application indicating relevant professional experience in the food or biological products industry
- verified copies of all academic transcripts for studies taken at all universities other than Massey University.
International21554 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21554 USD per year during 18 months.
National4789 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4789 USD per year during 18 months.
- Domestic students: $6,682.50 - $8,825.20
- International Students: $31,010.00
Living costs for Palmerston North
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.