The Department of Art offers a Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.) in Art in ceramics, digital media, printmaking, graphics, painting, and sculpture. This program is intended for students who have demonstrated ability for independent work of high quality in one of the five fields.
Students must select an area of specialization from among ceramics, digital media, printmaking, painting, and sculpture, and should use the following breakdown of courses to complete the 48 Credit M.F.A.
All students must take ART 744 (First-Year Graduate Seminar) for 3 credits. Students must also earn 12 credits in their area of specialization, 9 credits in Art History, and 12 credits in electives. (Electives are in areas outside the student's own specialization and will be selected in consultation with the Graduate Advisor from courses in ceramics, digital media, printmaking, painting, and sculpture.)
Prior to beginning their Master's thesis, students must complete 3 credits of independent studio work in ART 742 (Independent Research). In the final two semesters of the program, all students will take the 9 credits of ART 748 (Master's Thesis I) and ART 750 (Master's Thesis II) in their area of specialization.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- First-Year Graduate Seminar
- Art courses
- Art History courses
- Elective courses in Art
- Independent Research
- Master's Thesis
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History View 289 other Masters in Art History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited college or university.
- Demonstrate the potential to pursue graduate study successfully, that is, have attained a minimum undergraduate grade average of B in Art courses and a minimum grade average of B- in the undergraduate record as a whole.
- Have earned a minimum of 33 undergraduate credits in Art. This total must include one 3-credit survey course in Art History and 6 additional credits in Art History.
- Complete an interview with the Department and submit a portfolio and/or photographs or slides of recent work.
- Submit two letters of recommendation from college instructors.
- If conditionally admitted, satisfy the conditions within one year.
- Personal Interview.
- Applicants will then need to present examples of their work - either originals, photographs, or color transparencies - for final approval.
- Applicants will be reviewed by the department's M.F.A. Committee.
International855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 24 months.
National855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 24 months.
- Full-time - $5,545/semester
- Part-time - $470/credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.