The M.S. (Thesis) in Cartography and Geographic Information Systems at the University of Wisconsin Madison provides a broad foundation in the theory and application of mapping and geographic information sciences. Students who earn the M.S. (Thesis) degree are prepared to continue on for the Ph.D. in geography or for positions in government agencies, planning organizations, environmental agencies, nongovernmental organizations, and private industry.
- Articulates, critiques, or elaborates the theories, research methods, and approaches to inquiry or schools of practice in cartography and GIScience.
- Identifies sources and assembles evidence pertaining to questions or challenges in cartography/GIScience.
- Demonstrates understanding of cartography/GIScience in a historical, social, or global context.
- Selects and/or utilizes the most appropriate methodologies and practices.
- Evaluates or synthesizes information pertaining to questions or challenges in cartography/GIScience.
- Communicates clearly in ways appropriate to cartography/GIScience.
- Recognizes and applies principles of ethical and professional conduct.
- Geographical Inquiry and Analysis: Techniques
- An Introduction to Geographic Information Systems
- Graphic Design in Cartography
- Geospatial Database Design and Development
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeography Geographical Information Systems (GIS) View 296 other Masters in Geography in United States
- A minimum undergraduate grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00
- The Graduate School does not require the GRE
- Every applicant whose native language is not English, or whose undergraduate instruction was not in English, must provide an English proficiency test score. TOEFL scores must be submitted electronically via ETS. IELTS scores can be submitted electronically or by paper
- International applicants are required to have adequate financial resources to cover expenses for the duration of their studies at UW–Madison
- Application Fee
International25548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25548 USD per year during 24 months.
National25548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25548 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12220 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12220 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Madison
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.