Achievement of this objective requires that students understand the fundamental principles of physics that are relevant to the atmosphere, acquire a thorough and comprehensive knowledge of atmospheric properties and behavior, and develop critical facilities.
Students in this department typically spend 2 – 2 1/2 years to complete a masters degree.
A student’s first year in the program will be spent completing a majority of the required coursework with the their research beginning in the following summer. However, if a student can manage the workload, they may begin conducting research with their faculty adviser earlier.
At the end of a student’s first summer of study, they will give a First Year Seminar, a 20-minute presentation that describes their progress towards defining a thesis topic and articulating the goals and methodology that will be used to carry out their research.
To complete the Atmospheric Sciences program from University of Washington a student must submit their written thesis in accordance with the rules and procedures of the Graduate School, presented orally to the faculty and students, and defended in discussion. A student’s Supervisory Committee will decide if a student’s thesis and defense were satisfactory for graduation.
- Fundamentals of Physical Meteorology
- Synoptic Meteorology
- Atmospheric Radiation: Introductory
- Cloud Physics
- Atmospheric Chemistry
- Fluid Dynamics
- Geophysical Fluid Dynamics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Climate Studies & Meteorology Natural Sciences View 411 other Masters in Natural Sciences in United States
- Hold the minimum equivalent of a four-year baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S.1 or its equivalent from a foreign institution2 or a Bologna bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 180 European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) credits.
- All students confirming enrollment must provide an official (sealed) transcript and degree statement (with date of award & title of degree awarded) for verification to Graduate Enrollment Management Services (GEMS).
- Have earned at least a 3.0 grade-point-average (on a 4 point scale) from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S.1 or its equivalent from a foreign institution
International35781 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35781 USD per year during 12 months.
National35781 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35781 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State20535 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20535 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Seattle
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.