News Journalism offers a comprehensive professional introduction to the theory, ethics, application and promotion of quality journalism. The News Journalism course from Cardiff University offers an industry accredited skill-set enabling you to work across a range of modern journalistic roles.
You will learn the basics of how to find, produce, and publish a story using the most effective – and relevant – tools available. You will be taught how to write news, features, and opinion, how to research stories, build up contacts, and work a news patch that they are allocated.
In addition, you will also learn how to shoot short videos and stills on mobile for online reporting on our own public-facing news site and how to maximise the use of social media to share and promote your stories.
- An accredited National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) course.
- Industry placements in the second semester.
- An outstanding alumni network across the media.
The range of careers open to those who succeed on this course includes reporting for online providers, from the BBC to local start-ups, and various news organisations with print and online operations in Britain and abroad.
Graduates typically work for local and national newspapers, news websites, blogs, news agencies and PR agencies.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Major Project
- Public Administration
- Reporters and the Reported
- News Journalism
- News Reporting and Production
- Media Law and Ethics
- Data Journalism
- Professional Development
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
Applicants are advised to submit applications between October and February.
DisciplinesJournalism View 132 other Masters in Journalism in United Kingdom
- Applicants that meet our Entry Criteria will be invited to attend an interview. The main interview periods will take place between December and April.
- Applicants will normally be expected to hold a UK higher education degree of lower second class Honours or above, or a qualification recognised by the University as equivalent. This requirement may be waived for students with appropriate alternative qualifications.
International20200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 20200 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA10950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10950 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.