Graduates of this International and Development Economics program from University of San Francisco are prepared to pursue PhD programs or professional work as development researchers, program analysts, policy makers, practitioners for government agencies, international business, nonprofits, and NGOs in developing countries.
During the summer, you’ll form a small group with fellow students to collect primary data and access secondary data as part of an internship or partnership with an international institution. Your research will be the basis for your master’s thesis, which you’ll develop under your adviser’s supervision.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Understand the application of modern micro and macroeconomic theory to the key problems of economic development, trade and finance, including the analysis of market failures, poverty traps, the structure of incentives, the use of game theory to model institutional behavior, and open economy models of trade, migration, foreign direct investment, financial markets, and exchange rate determination
- Design and carry out a fieldwork-based research project, including formation of an original research question, planning of an effective methodology, development of field protocols/survey instruments, and data collection in a developing or transition country
- Conduct original quantitative empirical analysis of an international or development economics problem. Specifically, students should be able to express an economic theory in terms of an observable model; determine the appropriate estimation method for the empirical model; utilize statistical software to conduct such estimation; and meaningfully interpret the results
- Effectively communicate research finding both in writing and orally, including compilation of a professional literature review, clear presentation of theoretical and empirical models, econometric analysis, and the relevance of the study’s principal findings and implications for international and/or economic development theory and policy
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Microeconomics: Theory & Appl
- Mathematics for Economists
- Graduate Econometrics
- Field Research Methods
- Applied Econometrics
- Adv Applied Econometrics
- International Economics
- Economics of Development
- Development Economics Seminar
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications are encouraged and considered for admission on a rolling basis.
DisciplinesEconomics Business Administration International Development View 406 other Masters in Economics in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Bachelor's Degree
- Transcript (Academic Record)
- Statement of Purpose
- Resume or CV
- Letters of Recommendation
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International1480 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1480 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National1480 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1480 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.