The Public Health Program focuses upon four specialized tracks: Health Management, Epidemiology, Global Environmental Health, and Health Promotion. Students complete both didactic and experience-based courses. A community practicum exposes students to community organizations that support public health. Classes are taught during three terms each year; with this schedule, the required 43 credit hours can be completed in two years of full-time study.
Core courses are conducted at both the EVMS and Old Dominion University campuses and may be offered as distance courses with a classroom option for local students. Eastern Virginia Medical School offers the tracks in Health Management and in Epidemiology. Old Dominion University offers the tracks in Environmental Health and in Health Promotion. Students are advised by faculty members in their selected track.
The Program will benefit health professionals who are or will be working in private, government or community organizations with the following responsibilities: assessing health status or needs in populations, designing and implementing programs, managing administrative functions, conducting program evaluation and outcomes research, developing coalitions to meet community needs, marketing health services, analyzing the epidemiology of specific diseases and measuring or assuring the quality of healthcare and public health services and products.
- Principles of Environmental Health Science and Protection
- Statistical Reasoning for the Health Professions
- Environmental Epidemiology
- Research Design and Evaluation in the Health Professions
- Environmental Health Law and Policy
- Principles of Toxicology
- Environmental Risk Assessment and Decision Analysis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPublic Health View 1436 other Masters in Public Health in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Two letters of recommendation from teachers, supervisors, and/or employers.
- Evidence of a basic foundation of undergraduate courses in the life sciences,
- A satisfactory Graduate Record Examination (GRE) aptitude score.
- Work experience or voluntary participation in a health-related agency or program will be evaluated as part of the student’s admission package.
- A career-goals paper.
International41610 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1387 USD per credit during 12 months.
National41610 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1387 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State16530 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 551 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Norfolk
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.