Students are eligible to take the National Counselor Examination (NCE) leading to certification as a National Certified Counselors (NCC). The Clinical Mental Health Counseling program also prepares students to seek licensure as a Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC) in Nevada.
The mission of the program at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas , in Counselor Education is to provide all master’s level students with the latest methods, theories, and techniques of the discipline and to provide a field experience that will allow for a theory-to- practice developmental training approach. Indeed, we seek to enhance the requisite clinical skills needed to function as a professional counselor. In addition, and more broadly, we seek to train students to be critical thinkers, scientifically minded, culturally sensitive, promoters of social justice, and above all to be highly ethical and competent in their particular area of specialization. The Counselor Education mission statement embodies the personal and professional commitment that is required for those individuals who are intent on making a difference for people in our society.
Upon completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate value for human dignity and advocacy for clients/students and the profession while holding strong identities as professional counselors who are theory-informed and ethically-driven.
- Be competent leaders, advocates, and counselors who implement multicultural and social justice counseling competencies (MSJCC) by working with and on behalf of clients/students within a diverse society at the individual, school/community, and public arena levels.
- Apply developmental knowledge and the related nature/needs of clients/students in counseling approaches and interventions.
- Integrate career development knowledge and best practices in a holistic manner to effectively facilitate meaningful life planning of clients/students.
- Competently apply counseling theories, skills, and conceptual models to guide their professional practice.
- Understand and implement counseling group facilitation skills, theoretical foundations of group counseling/group work, and approaches towards group development, and dynamics for different types of groups.
- Demonstrate an understanding and application of best practices in assessment, testing, and evaluation in counseling practice.
- Employ scientifically-driven approaches in understanding, critiquing, and/or conducting program evaluation/research in counseling to guide professional practice.
- UNLV CMHC students will learn to assess, diagnose, treat, and advocate for clients in a multicultural society while emphasizing wellness, development, and evidenced-based practices.
- UNLV School Counseling students will learn to design and deliver developmentally appropriate and culturally responsive school counseling interventions (including curricula) that are based on analyzing data (in an ongoing process to assess learning, motivational, and developmental needs of students) and delivered within the context of a comprehensive school counseling program.
- Private practice
- State service provider
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Counseling with Expressive Arts and Activities
- Relationships Through the Lifespan
- Counseling Appraisal and Inquiry
- Counseling and Consultation Theories
- Career Theories and Practices
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesClinical Psychology Counselling Psychology View 413 other Masters in Clinical Psychology in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Transcripts All applicants are required to submit a transcript from each postsecondary institution attended, showing all degrees and coursework, the dates awarded, and grades received. If the institution is outside the U.S., a foreign credential evaluation may be required.
- Credentials not in English must be accompanied by an English translation certified as true by a university official, an official representative of a United States embassy or consulate, the United States Information Service, the United States Education Foundation, or an approved professional translating service. Notarized copies of originals or translations are not considered official.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23411 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23411 USD per year during 24 months.
National23411 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23411 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State6869 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6869 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Las Vegas
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.