The objectives of the Creative Writing degree offered by the University of Nevada, Las Vegas , are to enable the student to master the craft of writing in the chosen genre to a publishable level; to train the student in traditional literary studies and in writing pedagogy; and to provide the student with some practical knowledge of literary translation and literary publishing.
The goal of the three- year course of studies is to prepare the student for a teaching career at the university, college, or community college level; for writing as a profession outside of the academy; and to provide the student with an international perspective on the creation of, publication of, and teaching of the literary arts, specifically fiction, literary nonfiction, and poetry; to encourage an appreciation of literature and writing in all its forms in a global context; and to inspire literary activism of the public intellectual and person of letters.
- Students will have the ability to compose original works of literature (either fiction, literary nonfiction, or poetry) of publishable quality.
- Students will have an understanding of the theoretical foundations of his/her chosen genre concentration.
- Students will have an appreciation for the craft and theory of other genres.
- Students will have a good understanding of the canonical contexts and history from which new writing emerges.
- Students will have a practical appreciation for international writing and literary translation, and will have some knowledge of writing from at least one language tradition other than in English.
- Students will have produced a publishable, complete manuscript of original writing.
Persons with the M.F.A. in Creative Writing can go on to careers in:
A person with an M.F.A. in Creative Writing may, usually with the publication of a book, teach at the university or college level; or, usually with some significant publications, at the community college level. Persons with the M.F.A. in Creative Writing may also teach high school English (in some cases, additional credits in Education courses will be required); or may teach many disciplines of English at schools and institutes abroad. Because of the teaching experience available from the M.F.A. at UNLV as a Graduate Assistant instructor in the English Department, common fields in which persons holding the M.F.A. degree are qualified to teach in are: composition, literature, world literature, creative writing, or business writing.
The M.F.A. degree in Creative Writing provides the student with optimum preparation to pursue professional writing as a career in the chosen genre of specialization by selling original writing to magazines, book publishers, and websites. Also, the Creative Writing International program, in partnership with the Beverly Rogers, Carol C. Harter Black Mountain Institute, offers opportunities to work with three literary magazines: Interim, Witness, and The Believer. Practical experience in literary publishing combined with writing skills attained in pursuit of the M.F.A. degree provide an optimum work history to pursue a career in magazine editing, book editing, website editing, or free-lance, as copy editors or copy writers. Training in literary translation for the M.F.A. degree prepares students who also possess significant foreign language skills to pursue careers in literary and other fields of written translation.
Public Relations, Media, Communications, and Advertising
P-R and advertising agencies hire candidates with strong writing, communications, and publishing skills, all which are acquired in pursuit of the M.F.A. in Creative Writing.
Business, Non-profits, Management, and Beyond
In the most global sense possible, Creative Writing M.F.A. graduates can do anything. In survey after survey, business employers rank writing and communications skills as the most important qualification. M.F.A. graduates are also highly qualified to work for non-profits, especially in arts and education. Also, graduates go on to careers in finance, management, human resources, sales, marketing, civil service, and institutional analysis―the possibilities are endless.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Creative Writing Workshop
- Forms of Fiction or Poetry Course
- Forms of Fiction, Literary Nonfiction, or Poetry
- Independent Study - International Focus
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature View 776 other Masters in Literature in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A strong manuscript of either poetry, fiction or literary nonfiction for the admissions selection process of approximately 10-15 pages for poetry and 20-30 pages for fiction and literary nonfiction. The primary consideration for admission is the quality of the manuscript as judged by the Creative Writing faculty.
- A letter of application to the Graduate Committee that includes a statement of purpose and reasons the applicant wants to study creative writing at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
- Applicants must send one official set of transcripts from all colleges or universities attended to the Graduate College through the Grad Rebel Gateway portal.
- Two letters of recommendation to be sent directly to the Graduate College through the Grad Rebel Gateway portal. There is a wide range of acceptability with regard to an applicant's previous record of studies and major field of specialization as an undergraduate.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23411 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23411 USD per year during 36 months.
National23411 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23411 USD per year during 36 months.
In-State6869 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6869 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Las Vegas
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.