Our School Counseling program from Johns Hopkins University prepares competent, ethical, culturally responsive, and passionate counselors who become leaders and advocates. Both concentrations offer a rigorous evidenced-based curriculum aligned with national and state standards, a distinguished faculty with extensive counseling experience, and a strong clinical-experience support system through partnerships with school districts and mental health settings. The majority of class instruction occurs in-person, but online course offerings are also available.
The Master of Science in Counseling degree prepares individuals to be leaders and advocates in the fields of clinical mental health and school counseling. The program follows a nationally recognized, evidence-based curriculum aligned with national and state standards. The program is led by distinguished faculty and boasts a strong support network of school districts and mental health settings. The program’s content includes: professional orientation and ethical practice, social and cultural diversity, human growth and development, career development, helping relationships, group work, assessment, and research/program evaluation. Students learn through didactic experiences, small group projects, and applied learning at community- or school-based sites. The Master of Science in Counseling degree program, with concentrations in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling, is not currently accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
The School Counseling concentration prepares students to work in K-12 schools with an emphasis in urban school settings. The program is approved by the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE), and graduates are eligible for MSDE certification as school counselors. Students have a maximum of five years to complete the program but are strongly encouraged to follow the prescribed program of study. Completion of a 600-hour internship is required in this program.
The program’s curriculum and field experiences are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Counseling Theory and Practice
- Group Counseling and Group Experience
- Counseling Techniques
- Career/Life Development and Planning
- Appraisal and Testing for Counselors (online course)
- Couple and Family Therapy (lab course)
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Counselling View 3776 other Masters in Education in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online application form
- $80.00 application fee
- Upload a two-page reflective essay on: Why you would like to become a School Counselor? What type of contribution would you like to make to the School Counseling community? What do you bring from your background and professional experiences that may support and/or constrain your becoming an effective School Counselor? Your experiences around human diversity and how they shape and reflect your values and goals as a counselor. What impact has volunteer, travel, and/or work had on your growth as someone interested in being a School Counselor?
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended
International833 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 833 USD per credit during 36 months.
National833 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 833 USD per credit during 36 months.
- Online courses -$882 per credit*
Living costs for Baltimore
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.