Creative writing classes are conducted as workshops or tutorials, and there are numerous opportunities for related study both within and beyond the Department of English.
All students are fully funded for three years in a program that is well known for its sense of community and a faculty that is as committed to teaching as to their own writing. Approximately 36 graduate students are taught by tenure track, visiting, and affiliated (Film Studies) faculty, who also teach in the undergraduate program. Graduate student Creative Writing program at The Ohio State University teach introductory and intermediate special topics undergraduate creative writing courses, undergraduate literary publishing, as well as first-year and second-year writing (required courses for all OSU undergraduates). TAs teach two classes a year, one in autumn and one in spring. In addition, they have the opportunity to work as editors of OSU's prize-winning, nationally distributed literary magazine, The Journal, and to serve on the editorial staff of our two annual book prizes, one in poetry and one in prose.
Course offerings are varied and numerous. Special topics graduate workshops (in the long poem, in characterization, in literary translation, in humor writing, and so on) ensure that, in addition to "regular" workshops, opportunities abound for experimentation. Our graduate program includes coursework designed for "crossing over," such as, poetry workshops for MFA fiction writers or essayists with little experience writing poems; and "forms" classes in prosody, the novel, the memoir, novellas, for example.
Screenwriting for MFAs is offered once a year, and many students also elect to study playwriting or writing for performance as an elective. Many MFAs choose to pursue the Graduate Interdisciplinary Specialization in the Fine Arts (GISFA), which allows them to take graduate courses in other arts disciplines. Indeed, Ohio State's size and breadth offer our students the chance to explore many disciplines that enrich their study and practice of creative writing.
- Graduate Workshop in Poetry
- Graduate Workshop in Poetry for MFA Students in Fiction or Creative Nonfiction
- Graduate Workshop in Fiction
- Graduate Workshop in Fiction for MFA Students in Poetry or Creative Nonfiction
- Graduate Workshop in Creative Nonfiction
- Graduate Workshop in Creative Writing - Special Topics
- Graduate Workshop in Screenwriting
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature View 812 other Masters in Literature in United States
- A baccalaureate or professional degree (or equivalent foreign credential) from an accredited college or university, earned by the expected date of entry into your graduate program.
- A minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale) for the last degree earned.
- Prerequisite training that will enable you to pursue your program. Evidence usually comes in the form of transcripts or other credentials documenting that you have completed prerequisite academic work.
- Standardized test score (GRE or GMAT) if the score is required by your program. Scores must be sent electronically from the testing agency; faxed or emailed scores are not considered. Note: Scores are valid for five years after your test date.
International40507 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 40507 USD per year during 12 months.
National37140 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 37140 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12424 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12424 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Columbus
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.