Option I (Thesis)
The student must pass a final comprehensive examination. For the thesis option, the examination is based primarily on the student’s thesis work but may include questions on any courses counted toward the degree. The Mechanical Engineering student from University of Tennessee Knoxville must schedule the exam through the MABE office.
Option II (Non-Thesis)
Option II does not require a thesis and provides graduate students, including co-op and other off-campus students, the opportunity to focus their programs in special areas through extended course work.
The student must pass a final comprehensive examination. For the non‐thesis option, the comprehensive examination is made up of a written examination over all course work counted for the degree as well as a project report that includes written and oral components.
For all program options, other 500-level engineering courses that are approved by the student’s master’s committee and the graduate programs committee may be substituted for the mathematics courses. All program options require participation in the departmental graduate seminars program and passing a final examination on all work submitted for the degree.
Graduate programs are accredited by SACS.
- Thesis Option: ME 500 Thesis, 6 credit hours (minimum)
- Project Option: ME 590 Selected Engineering Problems, for independent research, 3 to 6 credit hours
- Thesis Option - 24 credit hours graduate course work plus thesis credit hours
- Project Option - 27 credit hours graduate course work plus project credit hours
- Course Only Option with Examination Option - 30 credit hours of graduate course work
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
Domestic applicants may apply up to two weeks prior to the beginning of the desired term of entry
DisciplinesMechanical Engineering Energy & Power Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 173 other Masters in Energy & Power Engineering in United States
- Entrance into the Master of Science program is available to qualified graduates of recognized undergraduate curricula in mechanical or mechanical engineering and to qualified graduates of other curricula who satisfy the necessary prerequisites.
- The general GRE is required of all applicants for admission.
- Changing between mechanical engineering and mechanical engineering requires departmental approval.
- Each applicant is advised as to any prerequisite courses before entering a program.
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
In-State13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.