The Architecture program encourages each student to:
- Comprehend the value of a creative engagement with the prevailing realities of the city as a primary means of cultural transformation, and to perceive Portland as an "urban laboratory" for experimental investigations of prevalent human issues.
- Explore the communicative potential of diverse media through continual acts of interpretive making at multiple scales, including full-size construction.
- Take advantage of the special reality of the academic setting in offering opportunity for speculation unavailable in contemporary practice situations, particularly through the Design Thesis experience.
- Develop an understanding of the dynamic relationship of individual and collective experience in urban environments through participation in, and fostering of, communication between citizen and institution in negotiating shared territories.
- Attain a dynamic awareness of the expectations, roles and practices of the contemporary architectural profession coupled with tangible capacities to operate creatively and productively in the field.
- Participate in, and contribute to, the advancement of knowledge in issues and technologies of sustainable living and environmental responsibility.
Portland State University teaching and research are inspired by three priorities:
- Exploring the poetics of material and the communication of cultural meaning
- Speculating upon urban issues and the pleasures and dilemmas of city dwelling
- Promoting community engagement and the application of creative and professional practices toward the common good.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Contemporary Architectural Theory
- Professional Practice
- Advanced Architectural Technology
- Architectural Design Studio
- Architectural Theory Elective
- Professional Practice Elective
- Design Development Studio
- Design Thesis
- Integrated Systems
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesArchitecture View 405 other Masters in Architecture in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Portfolio SpecificationsThe Admissions Committee is especially interested in each applicant's creative capacities, use of imagination in architectural design and other creative pursuits, intellectual curiosity, and the ability to communicate ideas through an exploration of diverse media and representational formats.
- The portfolio must be no larger than 9" x 12" and can be either portrait or landscape format.
- Use no more than 10 bound pages (20 sides).
- Include your name, mailing address, telephone number and e-mail address on the first page.
- Use supporting text and annotation informatively and with strong editorial control.
- Illustrate your work in a manner that enables a reviewer to perceive the creative journey you experienced in pursuit of design propositions, including a sense of process as well as final resolution.
- Be prepared to upload a digital portfolio file (PDF) as instructed in the online application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International24827 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 671 USD per credit during 24 months.
National24827 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 671 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State16428 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 444 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Portland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.