The program encourages each student to:
- Comprehend the value of a creative engagement with the prevailing realities of the city as a primary means of cultural transformation, and to perceive Portland as an "urban laboratory" for experimental investigations of prevalent human issues.
- Explore the communicative potential of diverse media through continual acts of interpretive making at multiple scales, including full-size construction.
- Take advantage of the special reality of the academic setting in offering opportunity for speculation unavailable in contemporary practice situations, particularly through the Design Thesis experience.
- Develop an understanding of the dynamic relationship of individual and collective experience in urban environments through participation in, and fostering of, communication between citizen and institution in negotiating shared territories.
- Attain a dynamic awareness of the expectations, roles and practices of the contemporary architectural profession coupled with tangible capacities to operate creatively and productively in the field.
- Participate in, and contribute to, the advancement of knowledge in issues and technologies of sustainable living and environmental responsibility.
- Contemporary Architectural Theory
- Professional Practice
- Advanced Architectural Technology
- Architectural Design Studio
- Architectural Theory Elective
- Professional Practice Elective
- Design Development Studio
- Design Thesis
- Integrated Systems
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesArchitecture View 305 other Masters in Architecture in United States
- Completed application
- Non-refundable application fee
- Official transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended
- GRE Scores
- TOEFL, IELTS or Pearson Test of English-Academic Scores for those applicants for whom English is not a first language - PTE- Academic -- 60 overall
- Statement of intent
- Résumé listing work experience, educational background and travel experiences
- Three letters of recommendation
- Representative sample of your academic writing on any subject
- Portfolio of creative work
- The portfolio must be no larger than 9" x 12" and can be either portrait or landscape format.
- Use no more than 10 bound pages (20 sides).
- Include your name, mailing address, telephone number and e-mail address on the first page.
- Use supporting text and annotation informatively and with strong editorial control.
- Illustrate your work in a manner that enables a reviewer to perceive the creative journey you experienced in pursuit of design propositions, including a sense of process as well as final resolution.
- Be prepared to upload a digital portfolio file (PDF) as instructed in the online application.
International601 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 601 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National280 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 280 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.