Combining detailed technical legal analysis with an engagement with history and political economy, it will help you to place the current chapter of globalisation in its larger context, and to understand where it might be heading.
This International Economic Law programme from The University of Edinburgh structure is designed to ensure that you gain a thorough knowledge and critical understanding of three core branches of international economic law the compulsory courses:
- international trade law
- international investment law
- international development law
You can also choose a tailored selection of option courses, depending on your personal interests and future career plans.
This programme is suitable for professionally qualified lawyers wishing to practise international law professionally, whether in law firms or at the bar, as legal advisers in foreign ministries, other government departments, international organisations or NGOs.
It may also be of value to anyone seeking to develop a career in diplomacy or international relations.
Recent graduates are now working as:
- tax consultants
- legal analysts
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- You must complete 180 credits of study – 60 credits are taken in the compulsory dissertation and the remaining 120 credits are taken in taught courses.
- You will experience a range of teaching styles on these courses, led by members of Edinburgh Law School academic community and experienced legal and industry practitioners.
- You are expected to prepare in advance by reading the required materials and by reflecting on the issues to be discussed, and your participation in classes will be assessed.
- For the dissertation you will have a supervisor from whom you can expect guidance and support, but the purpose of the dissertation is to allow you to independently design and conduct a piece of research and analysis.
- Please note that due to unforeseen circumstances or lack of demand for particular courses, we may not be able to run all courses as advertised come the start of the academic year.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- There are 4 application rounds.
DisciplinesEuropean Law International Law Legal Studies View 61 other Masters in European Law in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A minimum UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in law.
- We will also consider a UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a social science subject.
- Relevant work experience is not required but may increase your chances of acceptance.
- Relevant professional qualifications will be considered.
- Preference will be given to those with grades above the minimum requirements due to strong competition for places on this programme.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International24000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 24000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
National13700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13700 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Part-time tuition fees:
- Home - £6,850
- International/EU - £12,000
UK government postgraduate loans
If you live in the UK, you may be able to apply for a postgraduate loan from one of the UK’s governments. The type and amount of financial support you are eligible for will depend on your programme, the duration of your studies, and your residency status.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.