Overcoming dependence on drugs and alcohol. Navigating the perils of adolescence. Achieving wellness in the face of mental health challenges.Skilled, caring counselors hold the key to help individuals and families do that. And our counseling program gives you the experience to step into the field the day you graduate.Our students go on to work as counselors in public and private schools; colleges and universities; community-based social service agencies; and private practice.
Many of our students complete counseling degrees while holding down jobs in schools or other institutions. The program is structured so you don't have to choose between an education and your career. We hold classes nights, live online, or asynchronously online. You can attend our Mount Pleasant campus full-time or part-time; and part-time in a hybrid, hyflex or online format throughout Michigan. Each provides extensive hands-on experience. You will work directly with individuals of all ages as part of a mandatory practicum.
As a student in Central Michigan University's master in Counseling program, you will:
- Gain experience at our Center for Community Counseling and Development, a no-cost mental health center staffed by students in the Counseling program who provide face-to-face and telemental health counseling; or a community-based agency or school.
- The school counseling concentration will train you to assist K-12 students with their academic, social/emotional, and career development needs. You will become a systems change agent who advocates for equity, access, achievement, and opportunity for all students. The program will prepare you for employment at the elementary, middle, or high school level.
- The Counseling Supervisor
- Etiology of Addiction
- Counseling Children and Adolescents
- Addiction Oriented Systems and Methods of Care
- 36 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Online: Fall semester: March 1 priority deadline, applications will be accepted until cohort fills.
DisciplinesSchool Counselling Clinical Psychology Counselling Psychology View 715 other Masters in Counselling Psychology in United States
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Along with the application, you’ll need to submit a $50 application fee
- Submit a copy of your passport
- Submit proof of English proficiency or your intent to study English upon arrival – unless you are from an exempted country where English is the primary language of instruction.
- You also may demonstrate English proficiency by completing the English studies program through CMU's English Language Institute.
- Applicants must provide a third-party course-by-course credential evaluation and document verification
International18500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 925 USD per credit during 36 months.
National14520 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 726 USD per credit during 36 months.
In-State14520 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 726 USD per credit during 36 months.
Living costs for Mount Pleasant
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.