Psychiatry is a fascinating and important area of medicine. Due to the nature of psychiatric illness (which may often be present/co-morbid with other conditions and/or affect the way people behave in a variety of situations), improved knowledge of Psychiatry would benefit professionals working in fields supplementary to Psychiatry and/or likely to come into contact with psychiatric illness on a regular basis.
The MSc in Psychiatry at Cardiff University will be of benefit to such professionals and also to medical doctors training to be Psychiatrists or Psychiatric Specialists.
The programme aims to provide students with:
• An in-depth knowledge of the basic science, characteristics and presentation of psychiatric illness.
• An understanding of how psychiatric illness is managed and the appropriateness of specific management plans.
• The ability to critically appraise, synthesise and evaluate research relating to psychiatric illness.
• A developing critical independence and intellectual integrity with specific reference to Psychiatry.
The programme is a valuable and detailed introduction to the main types of psychiatric illness but does not at any stage entitle anyone enrolled or graduating from it to call themselves a Psychiatrist or Psychologist or to prescribe drugs or to otherwise manage psychiatric illness (if they could not previously do so as specified by their specific registration or licence to practice).
This programme is particularly suitable for those wishing to increase their knowledge of psychiatry. Psychiatric clinical trainees in the UK will find this course helpful when studying for the MRCPsych exams.
Graduates of the programme have reported that they have gone on to pursue PhD’s, further training in preparation to be clinical psychologists, and a range of jobs relevant to psychology and psychiatry.
This Masters programme enables you to demonstrate that you are taking the opportunity to develop your abilities in critical analysis, problem-solving, decision-making, finding and using evidence and in dealing with complex issues. Whilst we do not formally assess clinical skills or competencies in a face-to-face context (so the programme is not a substitute for a formal specialty training programme), studying at this level should help successful students demonstrate numerous academic skills that should be highly regarded in relation to their career development and progression.
In particular, the programme offers opportunities to demonstrate the development of knowledge and skills in relation to the application of evidence-based medicine and the potential enhancement of services and governance frameworks. As such, it should provide evidence of commitment and potential that may assist you in relation to taking on greater responsibilities or perhaps seeking management, research, scholarship, or leadership roles.
Please note that completing this course does not qualify you to practice psychiatry or call yourself a psychiatrist in the UK or elsewhere (as the ability to practice psychiatry is awarded by the relevant regulatory body in your location).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Anxiety Disorders and Depression
- Psychosis and Bipolar Disorder
- Behavioural Disorders and Dementia
- Organic Disorders and Intellectual Disability Psychiatry
- Forensic Psychiatry and Substance Misuse
- Child and Adolescent Disorders
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Forensic Science Health Sciences View 24 other Masters in Forensic Science in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students wishing to enrol on this programme will normally possess an initial degree in medicine awarded by a recognised Institution. Graduates from the following areas of study would also be considered: psychology, nursing or any healthcare related subject or a biological science.
- At the discretion of the University, non-graduates may also be admitted on to the module provided:
- You have held, for a minimum period of two years, a position of responsibility relevant to the course.
- In exceptional circumstances, you are deemed to be able to demonstrate equivalent skills that are sufficient to meet the demands of the course.
- You will be required to provide one academic and one professional reference which detail your suitability for the programme. If you graduated within the last three years, two academic references will be accepted.
International15700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15700 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9700 GBP per year during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.