The course in Creative Writing and Literary Translation from The City University of New York centers on writing workshop classes in which faculty lead students in critiques of one another’s writing.
What you'll study
Students take three workshops in their own genre, and a crossover workshop in another genre, and they take two craft classes, one in their own genre and one in another genre. They also take a course in critical theory and literature electives that help them to develop a critical vocabulary and a knowledge of various literary and cultural periods and traditions. The faculty will provide intensive discussion and supervision of student work. The program is committed to the integration of creative writing and literary studies.
- Workshop in Fiction: The Art of the Novel
- Workshop in Poetry: Finding the Form in Free Verse
- Non-Fiction Workshop: Essay Medley
- Translation Workshop
- Thesis Workshop
- Multi-Genre Craft Class: Writing Lives into Print
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature Translation & Interpreting View 377 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A minimum average grade of B in all undergraduate work and in all English courses.
- Three satisfactory letters of recommendation, preferably from writers and teachers of writing, addressing the candidate’s academic proficiency and writing skills.
- A 500-word statement of interest.
- Candidates should submit a writing sample: either 10 pages of poetry, 25 pages of prose, or two one-acts or a full-length play to the Graduate Advisor, English Department, Klapper Hall, Room 607, by the application deadline.
- For the translation track, candidates should demonstrate an appropriate level of fluency in a language besides English and submit previously translated work (5-10 pages) as their writing sample.
International25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
National25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
- Full-time - $5,545/semester
- Part-time - $470/credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.