About Dramaturgy at The University of Iowa
While providing the training needed to work as dramaturgs on works of all periods and types, the MFA in Dramaturgy at The University of Iowa focuses on the training of new play dramaturgs with special skills in the development of new work.
At Iowa, the tradition of new play dramaturgy extends back to the founding of the department in the 1930s. Along with such figures as Columbia's Brander Matthews and Yale's George Pierce Baker, Iowa's first Chair of Theatre Arts, E.C. Mabie, pioneered the development of drama as an independent discipline in which scholars and artists could train to create and lead the theatre of the future. Under the leadership of Oscar Brownstein in the 1970s, the MFA Program in Playwriting offered one of the country’s first courses in Dramaturgy, through which MFA candidates in Playwriting served as dramaturgs on department productions of established plays. In the 1990s, the department developed the MFA in Dramaturgy in close association with the Playwrights Workshop.
- Basic Acting for Language Learners
- Basic Acting
- Comedy and Society
- The Arts in Performance
- Modes of Film and Video Production
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Theatre & Dance View 321 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
- A U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- English Proficiency Requirements
- A résumé
- A statement (two to three pages) detailing your personal, academic, and theatrical background, including your reasons for pursuing graduate study in dramaturgy and your professional goals.
- Two samples of your critical writing on drama or performance; these may include articles or essays prepared in the context of work as a production dramaturge.
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile.
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
International29739 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29739 USD per year during 12 months.
National31012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31012 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12065 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12065 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.