Together, SSSW and UTS offer the MSW/MDiv Dual Degree in Social Work and Divinity from The City University of New York to streamline the pathway to earning both degrees, maximizing educational experiences and professional opportunities for students interested in careers that bridge religious studies with clinical social work.
To this end, the Program’s goals are to:
- Train master’s-level professionals who can provide multi-level, comprehensive, and effective services to assure the health and well-being of individuals, communities, and populations while understanding, mobilizing, and supporting spiritual beliefs, networks, and organizations as significant resources.
- Facilitate students’ attainment of social work, spiritual care, and interdisciplinary competencies.
- Facilitate interdisciplinary collaboration between SSSW and UTS faculty and staff in curriculum development, teaching, research, and practice.
- Partner with organizations in East Harlem, Morningside Heights, and other urban communities of need to develop multi-disciplinary service learning experiences and applied research opportunities that utilize spiritual beliefs and practices, networks, and organizations to ameliorate health disparities and improve well-being.
Students in the MSW-MDiv Dual Degree Program are able to earn both degrees concurrently in four years through a streamlined, 105-credit curriculum based upon the goals above – compared to 138 credits over five years, which would be required in order to complete them separately. This streamlined curriculum removes overlapping course requirements; cross-honors electives; and ensures that students achieve competencies required among both MSW and MDiv graduates. For more details about the curriculum, please see Program Description below.
What Can I Do with my MSW-MDiv Dual Degree?
Students who graduate from the MSW-MDiv Dual Degree Program will be highly prepared for professional practice that integrates spirituality with clinical social work and social welfare. Recent literature points to the growing value of this dual-expertise. The field of theology at the same time has moved to prepare ministers to serve people and communities facing adverse challenges, through a deep understanding of social systems, structures, oppression, and injustice. Graduates of the MSW-MDiv Dual Degree Program will enter a professional landscape with a strong demand for their unique combination of competencies, skills, and expertise.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Contents of the Old Testament
- History of Christianity since Reformation
- Foundations in Christian Theology
- Social Welfare Policy and Services
- Human Behavior and the Social Environment
- Clinical Practice with Individuals Families, and Small Groups
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Religious Studies & Theology Christian Studies View 579 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Silberman School of Social Work
- Complete an application online.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges.
- Statement of Purpose
- Two professional letters of reference.
- Non-refundable $75 application fee
Union Theological Seminary
- $75 application fee
- Personal statement (2 essays)
- Three recommendation letters
- TOEFL or IELTS
International25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25650 USD per year during 48 months.
National25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25650 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State11090 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11090 USD per year during 48 months.
- Resident: $470 per credit
- Non-resident: $855 per credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.