TESOL Adult Track at The City University of New York does not prepare teachers for New York State certification to teach in the public schools.
Links to the ESL classroom are emphasized and students are exposed to extensive field experiences and practice. Students should be prepared to spend considerable amounts of time observing and participating in educational settings in addition to attending classes at Hunter.
- Minimum GPA for Retention - Graduate students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 to remain at Hunter College. Students whose grades fall below this standard are required to raise their GPAs to at least 3.0 within one semester.
- No F in the first two semesters—students who receive a grade of F or WU in any course in the first two semesters will not be allowed to continue in the program.
- Progress holds due to Incomplete Grades - Students with two or more INCs will not be allowed to register for any courses.
- Key Course Performance Standards
- Students must receive a grade of at least a B in key program courses.
- Students who receive a grade of F or WU in key program courses may not continue in the program.
- Key Program Courses are identified by the label (KC) in the course title.
- TESOL Methods for Adult Education (KC)
- Analysis and Structure of English I
- Curriculum and Materials in Adult TESOL (KC)
- Socio-Cultural Aspects of Language
- Instructed Second Language Acquisition (KC)
- Teaching ESL Oral Skills
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesTeaching English View 193 other Masters in Teaching English in United States
- Bachelor’s degree with a GPA of at least 3.0 or a master’s degree with a GPA of at least 3.5.
- 12 credits in foreign language documented on a transcript or equivalent credits on a standardized proficiency test such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or the NYU Proficiency Test in Foreign Language.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- A personal statement.
- Satisfactory communication skills. (An oral interview and on-site writing sample may be required to provide additional evidence of communication skills).
International25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25650 USD per year during 12 months.
National25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25650 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11090 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11090 USD per year during 12 months.
- Resident: $470 per credit
- Non-resident: $855 per credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.