This Educational Theatre, Grades K–12, Initial Certification MA program from New York University leads to eligibility for New York State initial certification.
You’ll complete course work in drama, dramatic literature, and theatre, which is tied to the four New York State Learning Standards for the Arts. Through an inquiry-based model of teaching, you’ll take core methods courses that link theory to practice, while cultivating a deeper understanding of how to teach theatre as an art form and how to integrate drama into core subject areas at all grade levels. Throughout your program, you will:
- Acquire specialized pedagogical techniques and strategies that are innovative and appropriate for teaching drama and theatre to today's elementary, middle, and high school students
- Enhance your skills in theatre production and performance
- Expand your knowledge and understanding of dramatic literature
- Develop an understanding and appreciation for drama in education praxis
- Gain insights in and experiences with youth theatre and Theatre for Young Audiences
Careers and Outcomes
Graduates of our program are teachers of drama and theatre at preschools and elementary, middle, and secondary schools. They hold positions in education departments in regional theatres, museums and art galleries. They are directors of drama and theatre for community centers, camp and recreation programs, and religious organizations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theatre for Young Audiences
- Design for the Stage
- Images of Women in Theatre
- Advanced Directing
- Styles of Acting and Directing
- Applied Theatre
- World Drama
- Beginning Playwriting
- Physical Theatre Improvisation
- Creating Ethnodrama: Theory & Practice
- The Ethnoactor & Verbatim Performance
- Stage Lighting
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Liberal Arts Theatre & Dance View 292 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
You must have completed the following content core requirements for your intended teaching certification area, as regulated by the New York State Education Department, prior to enrollment:
- 30 semester hours of drama, theatre, dramatic literature, or an equivalent
- If you have fewer than 30 points or credits in these areas on admission, you will be required to take additional course work in educational theatre.
- 3 semester hours of a language other than English (American Sign Language is acceptable)
International72813 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 72813 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National72813 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 72813 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.