The M.A. in Art History at the University of Houston provides the graduate student with a firm grounding in the discipline of art history coupled with the riches of major art institutions in a dynamic urban art world. The program is designed with a minimal number of required courses to give students the opportunity to design a program that best suits their individual needs and aspirations. In addition to art history, specializations are also available in Curatorial and Theoretical Perspectives or in Art Criticism and Writing, with thesis and non-thesis tracks in each.
Through its uniquely wide-ranging and diverse options for coursework and internships, the University of Houston program enables students to pursue a large number of career options. Graduates of the UH Master’s program in art history will be well-prepared to go on to seek the Ph.D. in art history, or, alternatively, to pursue careers not requiring the Ph.D. in art museums, collections, or galleries; in art criticism and writing; or to combine additional credentials for a career in arts librarianship, arts management or art education.
Our expansive view of art history leads us to seek candidates with a variety of interests and backgrounds. Though applicants must demonstrate an understanding of art historical research and writing practices through a writing sample, an undergraduate degree in Art History is not required
More informationVisit official programme website
- Graduate Art History Methods
- Independent Graduate Study in Art History
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArt History View 202 other Masters in Art History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Non-refundable application fee ($75 domestic applicants/$150 international applicants)
- Official transcript from each college or university attended since high school (sent directly to the Graduate School)
- GRE Scores, less than 5 years old
- 3 recommendations from those who are familiar with your academic work, at least one of which should concern your work in art history.
- A resume of academic and work experience
- Statement of intent stating academic interests within the field of art history and career goals
- One sample of academic writing (7-20 pages) can be attached during the online application process. It should be formatted as a pdf.
International910 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 910 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National910 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 910 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
In-State401 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 401 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.