The department maintains close relations with the language departments and programs at IU, such as Central Eurasian Studies, Classical Studies, Near Eastern Languages and Literatures, French and Italian, Germanic Studies, East Asian Languages and Cultures, Slavic Languages and Linguistics, and Spanish and Portuguese, as well as with other departments and programs, such as the African Studies Program, Cognitive Science Program, Second Language Studies, the Departments of Computer Science, Psychology, Anthropology, Folklore, Mathematics, Philosophy, Sociology, and Speech and Hearing Science. Joint degrees can be arranged with any of these or with any other department that is appropriate given a student’s interests and career goals.
Personalized career advising
Wherever you are on your path to discovering your ideal career, we have the expertise to help.
- The Career Development Center (CDC) is your go-to resource if you aren’t yet part of a specific Indiana University Bloomington school. Our exploration process provides you with support and guidance each step of the way—from beginning to think about your future to launching your career.
- If you are in the exploratory stage, we also encourage you to visit career centers for schools in which you have an interest, in addition to the CDC.
- Once you declare a major, you’ll work with the career center dedicated to your school for advising tailored to your academic discipline.
- Learn more about our recruiting policies for employers, including our disability disclosure guidance for students.
- Linguistics for Graduate students
- The Computer and Natural Language
- Historical Linguistics
- Introductory Phonetics
- Phonological Analysis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Linguistics View 632 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Admission to the M.A. program will be based on evaluations of (1) undergraduate grade record, (2) level of achievement in the Graduate Record Examination General Test, (3) three letters of recommendation, and (4) undergraduate exposure to linguistics and related course work. Students not satisfying requirement (4) may be admitted but may be required to do course work prerequisite to introductory graduate courses.
International32156 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32156 USD per year during 12 months.
National30704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30704 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State10630 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10630 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Bloomington
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.