Students enrolled into the Masters in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling program from Northwest Nazarene University complete 60 credit hours of coursework over eight semesters (33 months), 1,000 hours of practicum/internship experience, take the national comp exam, sit for the NCE exam, complete a participatory field research project, and engage in personal growth experiences such as individual and group counseling (as clients) . Masters in Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling majors are prepared to make application for both the Licensed Professional Counselor credential and the Associate Marriage and Family Therapy credential in the State of Idaho.
Beyond the counseling core courses, students enroll in seven courses in marriage, couple, and family counseling with a focus on systems theory and research, human sexuality, and couple and family counseling interventions. Marriage, couple, and family counseling majors also have the opportunity to intern at the private non-profit counseling center associated with the department, which provides couples, individual, play therapy, and youth assessment services. The Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling program is delivered in a traditional, face-to-face, onsite program with some blended course options. NNU is a religiously-affiliated institution with a Wesleyan foundation. Spiritual wellness, an atmosphere of gratitude, commitment to community, service to others, a relational focus between faculty and with students, and good mental health practices are modeled by faculty for students. Students of any background/tradition are welcome.
- Ethical and Legal Issues
- Multicultural Counseling and Societal Issues
- The Learning Process and Lifespan Development
- Family Counseling Theories
- Career Development
- Pre-Practicum: Basic Counseling Skills
- Group Counseling
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Psychopathology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesClinical Psychology Counselling Psychology View 716 other Masters in Counselling Psychology in United States
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- The GRE is required for applicants with a GPA below 3.0. Applicants above a 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA may submit GRE scores to supplement their application files. However, the GRE is not required for those with a GPA of 3.0 or above.
- An appropriate fit between the applicant and the program, as determined by references, a program interview, a resume, a biographical background, and a paper on the student's view of counseling.
- Strong evidence of a fit between the applicant and the dispositions needed to be an effective counselor, through the lens of ratings on the research-based characteristics of effective helpers.
- Upon acceptance into the Counselor Education Masters Program you will be required to undergo fingerprinting and a background check.
International16950 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 565 USD per credit during 24 months.
National16950 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 565 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Nampa
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.