Upon graduation, majors of the Counseling from Northwest Nazarene University are prepared to make application for the Licensed Professional Counselor credential in the State of Idaho for the K-12 school counseling credential. They are also qualified for the Department of Education Pupil Personnel Services Certification.
In the state of Idaho, school counselors do not need to be certified teachers. Thus, students from many different undergraduate majors elect to apply for school counseling admittance. The focus of the program is to prepare students to serve the schools in rural communities.
Beyond the counseling core courses (which include two required courses in diversity) the coursework specific to School Counseling focuses on the components of the National Model, youth and child counseling skills, and helping youth with special learning problems. One of the required courses for School Counseling majors is a collaborative course with graduate students in special education.
In addition to the required core and School Counseling courses, students have the opportunity to enroll in an emphasis area, similar to an undergraduate minor, in one of the following: 1) Play Therapy; 2) Trauma, Crisis, and Grief; 3) Advanced Clinical Skills; 4) Spirituality and Wellness; 5) Addictions; 6) Integration of Faith in Counseling; or 7) Viktor Frankl's Logotherapy. School majors also have the opportunity to intern at the private non-profit counseling center associated with the department, learning to apply play therapy skills under the supervision of a registered play therapist and gaining individual training and supervision in the individual assessment of youth.
The School Counseling program is delivered in a traditional method on-site at NNU, but is also available in Twin Falls, Idaho. Next Start date in Twin Falls is Fall 2019. NNU is a religiously-affiliated institution with a Wesleyan foundation. Spiritual wellness, an atmosphere of gratitude, commitment to community, service to others, a relational focus between faculty and with students, and good mental health practices are modeled by faculty for students. Students of any background/tradition are welcome.
- The Profession of Counseling
- Ethical and Legal Issues
- Multicultural Counseling and Societal Issues
- The Learning Process and Lifespan Development
- Theories of Counseling
- Family Counseling Theories
- Career Development
- Pre-Practicum: Basic Counseling Skills
- Group Counseling
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation School Counselling Educational Psychology View 608 other Masters in Educational Psychology in United States
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- The GRE is required for applicants with a GPA below 3.0. Applicants above a 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA may submit GRE scores to supplement their application files. However, the GRE is not required for those with a GPA of 3.0 or above.
- An appropriate fit between the applicant and the program, as determined by references, a program interview, a resume, a biographical background, and a paper on the student's view of counseling.
- Strong evidence of a fit between the applicant and the dispositions needed to be an effective counselor, through the lens of ratings on the research-based characteristics of effective helpers.
- Upon acceptance into the Counselor Education Masters Program you will be required to undergo fingerprinting and a background check.
International16950 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 565 USD per credit during 24 months.
National16950 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 565 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Nampa
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.