Most students of the Materials Science and Engineering programme at the University of Washington, complete a project, research or internship-based paper upon graduation, though thesis options are also available. Successful students earn a Master of Science in Materials Science and Engineering upon completion of this program.
Students gain experience within the program for careers in a variety of fields including aerospace, consulting, biomedicine and energy. Based on its geographical location and faculty expertise, the department has relationships with some of the top engineering companies such as Boeing, PNNL, Intel, Micron and Hitachi Consulting. Graduates of the program pursue careers in research and development, serve as consultants, engage in entrepreneurial activities, or pursue doctoral studies. A broad selection of courses and faculty mentors enables the student to tailor their academic program and to establish their own desired expertise.
Find out what some MSE Applied Master's Program alumni are doing in these student stories.
- Biomaterials & Bionanotechnology
- Ceramic Processing & Properties
- Composite Materials
- Electronic, Optical & Magnetic Materials
- Materials Characterization/Metrology with electrons, photons & scanning probes
- Materials Chemistry, Modeling & Physics
- Metals & Alloys
- Thin Films and Lithography
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology Environmental Sciences View 384 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An eligible applicant to the Master of Science degree has earned a bachelor's degree in engineering, chemistry, or physics from an accredited U.S. college or university or the equivalent in a foreign country.
- Admission to the department is competitive and all components of a student’s application are considered in evaluating his or her eligibility for admission.
International35781 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35781 USD per year during 24 months.
National35781 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35781 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State20535 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20535 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Seattle
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.