Administered cooperatively by Pacific University's College of Education and College of Optometry on the Forest Grove Campus, the Visual Function in Learning program of Pacific University Oregon provides expertise in understanding the cognitive, linguistic and visual challenges of learning to read.
Candidates must hold or be working toward the professional terminal degree in optometry. Candidates within the College of Optometry must have completed the fall semester of the first year of study, have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater, and be in good academic standing. Candidates may enroll in a maximum of eight hours of education coursework before admission to the program.
Final requirements for graduation include completion of a written manuscript and an oral presentation of the thesis project.
MEd/VFL Careers & Outcomes
Graduate students will have developed a sophisticated and nuanced understanding of:
- the role that visual factors play in learning disability diagnosis and remediation;
- fundamental theories of cognition, learning, and language development;
- the major diagnostic theories in reading and related prescriptive techniques;
- decision-making systems, service delivery models, and program management within education organizations; and
- the varied constituencies that the public schools must satisfy to develop skills in research, diagnosis, therapy and case management within a multi-disciplinary setting.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Seminar: Educational and Optometric Connections
- Reading Assessments and Techniques
- Perspectives on Reading
- Language and Literacy Development
- School and Society
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEducation View 3090 other Masters in Education in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Complete the School of Learning & Teaching Application.
- Official transcripts of all college study.
- One reference from Optometry faculty.
International28791 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28791 USD per year during 24 months.
National28791 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28791 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Forest Grove
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.