The of this School Psychology program goal at The City University of New York is to prepare psychologists with high levels of ethical and professional competencies to provide sound educational and psychological services in the school and other educational settings.
This 60-credit specialist-level program provides the skills necessary for the professional preparation of school psychologists. It meets the academic and internship requirements for New York State Certification in School Psychology and is approved as a training institution in School Psychology by the New York State Department of Education and the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP). The program leads to a Provisional Certificate in School Psychology and a degree of Master of Science in Education. It can be completed in three years of full-time study, including a one-year internship, or in four years on a part-time basis, with three years of part-time study and a final year of full-time internship.
Furthermore, candidates may enroll in either a Bilingual or Multicultural Specialization. The Bilingual Specialization leads to a Bilingual Extension (provided by the New York State Education Department to bilingual candidates meeting the states’ bilingual requirements). The Multicultural Specialization is for non-bilingual students who wish to obtain additional expertise in working with students from diverse cultural backgrounds. Both specializations require additional coursework (6 additional credits) and a special internship experience.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- The curriculum is sequenced, with the first year focused on theoretical foundations and skill development, followed by more experiential components in the later years.
- The sequence is designed to introduce complex concepts slowly, building upon the basics. The coursework is designed to cover the 10 Domains of School Psychology Training and Practice that are part of the NASP Standards for Training and Field Placement experience and practical.
- Close supervision of skills is followed by an internship, where students are given the opportunity to integrate these experiences in a practical, professional environment, both in school and clinical settings. All students follow the same basic sequence of coursework, with program modifications made to meet individual needs.
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Psychology Educational Psychology View 992 other Masters in Psychology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All candidates must have completed a satisfactory undergraduate program of study in a relevant major.
- There are 9 prerequisite courses for the graduate program in School Psychology. Once enrolled in the program, any outstanding prerequisites must be completed before the beginning of the second year of the program.
- Three written recommendations.
- In the admissions essay applicants should discuss their interest in school psychology and their reasons for applying to the program.
- An interview may be required.
International855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 36 months.
National855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 36 months.
- Full-time - $5,545/semester
- Part-time - $470/credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.