The courses of the Television, Film and Media Studies program of California State University Los Angeles explore the history, cultural politics, financial structure, aesthetics, and societal impact of film, television and `new media’ (internet, digital media, social media, etc.).
This program is also designed to enable students to acquire an understanding of research methods and theories that explore industry structure and audience reception, as well as visual and structural examinations of media texts. The program requires that students select and develop an area of specialization.
Students also have the opportunity to choose elective courses, with advisor approval, from other related programs, including the MFA in Television, Film and Theatre, and the Communication Studies MA program. This enables students to pursue intellectual inquiries that interest them while gaining a broader understanding of Television, Film and Media Studies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Seminar: Research Methods in Telecommunications and Film
- Seminar: Media Theory and Criticism
- Seminar: Television Studies
- Seminar: Post World War II Film and Television History
- Seminar: Cultural Studies
- Seminar: Narrative Studies in Film and Television
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 298 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United States
- In addition to University requirements for admission to graduate study, students must have a 3.00 grade point average.
- Applicants must submit the completed departmental application together with official transcripts of all previous college work
- A copy of their TOEFL score if applicable
- A writing sample
- A statement of purpose
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation by persons qualified to assess the applicant’s academic work sent directly to the Department of Television, Film and Media Studies
- Students applying to the MA and whose undergraduate major was not Television, Film and Media Studies or some variant thereof, may be admitted to the degree program in conditionally classified standing
International17700 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8850 USD per semester during 12 months.
National17700 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8850 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State8196 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4098 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.