Faculty of the M.A. in History program at The City University of New York's specializations range from the ancient to modern periods in European, Latin American, African, Asian, Middle Eastern and American history. Approaches include social and cultural, political, diplomatic, environmental, and economic history.
To fulfill degree requirements, M.A. students must complete either thirty or thirty-three (30-33) credits in History Department courses. As detailed in the options below, students selecting the Thesis Option must complete thirty (30) credits and students selecting the Non-Thesis Option must complete thirty-three (33) credits.
Among the 30-33 hours of coursework undertaken to fulfill the general degree requirements, all students must complete three credit hours in each of three geographic areas: U.S., Europe, and the non-western world. One of these courses must cover in whole or substantial part the pre-1800 period.
Students will be able to:
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge about key historical concepts (such as “objectivity”) and historical terminology (such as “primary source”)
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge about key historical actors and events across the department’s distribution requirements
- Articulate a clear research question, assemble a bibliography, and use citations properly
- Situate an original historical argument within a sophisticated historiographical framework
- Effectively incorporate primary sources into a historical argument
- Express sophisticated historical ideas in writing using a clear thesis statement, a well-organized argument, and effective evidence
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research and Writing Workshop
- Independent Research
- Independent Reading
- Master's Essay
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Modern History Political Science View 273 other Masters in Political Science in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Two letters of recommendation (preferably from history professors with whom you have worked)
- Personal statement (explaining your background, interest in studying history, and reason for choosing our program; no more than 2 pages)
- Writing sample (a formal 5-10 page paper typically written for an undergraduate or graduate history class providing evidence of your writing and analytical skills).
- F-1 or J-1 international students must submit English Proficiency Exam.
International855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
National855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
- Local students: 5,545 / semester
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.