Through the study and analysis of a variety of literary texts, critical and theoretical approaches (including, among others, new historicism, reader-response theory, deconstruction, feminist criticism, and post-colonial studies), and historical concepts, students are afforded the opportunity to develop individual interpretations of texts and to evaluate controversies surrounding the canon.
Small-group tasks, oral presentations, short papers, and longer research papers complement lectures, discussions, and examinations. Travel and research grants are available to our students, several of whom have presented at graduate colloquia at Brooklyn College and at other universities throughout the country and abroad, or have had papers accepted for publication in journals.
English graduates at The City University of New York have found new employment or enhanced their present careers in diverse fields including education, publishing, writing for both for-profit and non-profit organizations. Others have been accepted into doctoral programs.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Canterbury Tales
- Chaucer's Work Exclusive of The Canterbury Tales
- Literature of the Middle Ages
- Seminar in Textual Analysis
- Comparative Literature of the Medieval Period
- Early Modern Literature
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature View 525 other Masters in Literature in United States
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. Applicants who earned a bachelor's degree outside the United States need to submit a 'Course by Course International Transcript Evaluation.'
- Two letters of recommendation
- A sample of critical writing on literary topics (about 10 pages, typically consisting of undergraduate writing, e.g., one paper or two shorter papers); a statement of academic purpose (two pages).
- F-1 or J-1 international students must submit English Proficiency Exam
International855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
National855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
- Local students: $5,545 / semester
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.