The Secondary Education, 7-12 programs of Duquesne University prepare you for Grade 7-12 classrooms in Pennsylvania and in many other states. The programs combine professional education with an academic curricula area in English, Mathematics, Science (Biology, Chemistry, or Physics),or Social Studies.
Those who are new to teaching will learn how to lead in the classroom. Those who are currently teaching and looking to teach a different grade level or subject area will be prepared with the skills for a smooth transition. The graduate teacher education certification programs are nationally accredited and guided by standards from the State of Pennsylvania and national professional organizations.
The program faculty are experts in their field. Students will complete formal classroom visits, known as field experiences, explore different perspectives, and be face-to-face with social justice issues in the field. With Duquesne's premier location, in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh, candidates will have the opportunity to visit classrooms in urban, suburban, and rural settings.
In addition to field experiences in local and regional schools, you will have the opportunity to study abroad. As a partner university, Duquesne University students have the opportunity to be placed by IU Global Gateway in an overseas student teaching experience in one of 18 countries. Participating countries include, but are not limited to, Australia, Costa Rica, England, Greece, India, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Spain, and Tanzania.
Learn from experienced faculty, in a highly accredited program
The Secondary Education faculty work with you to address professional standards in respective content areas through coursework and projects and implementation of the standards in your fieldwork.
In addition to the School of Education's national recognition by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), as a point of distinction, content areas are nationally accredited by their respective Specialized Professional Association (SPA).
- The English content area is accredited by the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE).
- The Mathematics content area is accredited by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM).
- The Social Studies content area is accredited by the National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS).
- Helping ELLs in Mainstream Classroom
- Technology in Education
- Foundations of Assessment
- Adolescent Literature
- Teaching Middle School Math
- Exploring Inclusive Teaching Supports
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesTeaching Secondary Education View 278 other Masters in Secondary Education in United States
- Complete Duquesne University Online Graduate Application.
- Submit Official transcripts.
- Attend an interview with the graduate secondary education program advisors
- Provide two letters of recommendation from academic or professional contacts (no personal contacts)
- Provide a one-page letter of intent, describing "why you want to become a teacher".
- 3.0 GPA*
- Applicants seeking initial certification must have a minimum overall 3.0 GPA
- Applicants who are returning secondary education teachers must have an overall 3.0 GPA and a 3.0 GPA in secondary education content courses.
International26578 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1363 USD per credit during 24 months.
National26578 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1363 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Pittsburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.