This CACREP accredited program in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program from Duquesne University prepares graduates for licensure as a professional counselor (LPC) which is essential for employment in the mental health field and private practice.
Students have the option of taking classes in the early evening and late afternoon. Graduates of the program are very successful in obtaining employment in mental health settings, working as out- and in-patient therapists, mobile therapists, substance abuse counselors, etc.
Graduates may obtain employment in or work as:
- Community mental health centers
- Drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers
- Career counseling centers
- Mobile therapists
- Family based mental health therapists
- Outpatient therapists
- Behavioral specialists consultants (BSC)
- Probation/parole officers.
Counselor Education Program Objectives
The educational experiences of Duquesne's Counselor Education program:
- Are grounded in theories of wellness, holism and development
- Involve community engagement and are informed by an understanding of systemic context and multicultural theory
- Focus on the core elements of an effective helping relationship
- Emphasize self-awareness, personal development, and experiential learning.
Accreditation by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
- Therapeutic Techniques in Counseling
- Child and Adolescent Counseling
- Community-Based Interventions
- Research Methods & Design
- Multicultural Issues and Strategies in Counseling
- Psychotherapeutic Aspects of Human Sexuality
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Counselling Psychology View 1323 other Masters in Psychology in United States
- Resume/curriculum vitae
- Graduate education essay
- The essay is limited to 250 words
- Prompt: Discuss your professional plans upon acquiring a master's degree in counseling
- Two (2) Recommendations
- Official transcripts
- English Proficiency Requirements
- Transcript Credential Evaluation
International40890 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1363 USD per credit during 24 months.
National40890 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1363 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Pittsburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.