Get high-quality training in a cutting-edge field. You’ll gain a broad-based education that combines geography, information science, statistics, remote sensing and environmental studies. Plus, the wide diversity of faculty expertise empowers you to pursue your unique research interests.
The Geographic Information Sciences program from Central Michigan University features the most comprehensive GIS curriculum in Michigan. You’ll learn to apply geospatial technologies (spatial statistics, cartography, unmanned aerial systems, remote sensing) to areas such as:
- Surface hydrology.
- Atmospheric processes.
- Cultural and natural resource management.
- Historical change.
- Location analysis.
- Transportation/land use planning.
- Regional economics.
Careers & Outcomes
CMU alumni in this program have garnered professional roles in a variety of settings. Careers range from management positions in county and state governments to project managers at Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI) to spatial decision-making at private-sector firms across the country.
- Advanced Cartography
- Advanced Geographic Information Systems
- Python Programming for GIS
- Quantitative Methods for Spatial Analysis
- Research Design and Communication in GIS
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Rolling admission; but February 1 (to be considered for funding the following Fall)
DisciplinesGeography Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Computer Sciences View 215 other Masters in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Central Michigan University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Along with the application, you’ll need to submit a $50 application fee
- Submit a copy of your passport
- Submit proof of English proficiency or your intent to study English upon arrival – unless you are from an exempted country where English is the primary language of instruction.
- You also may demonstrate English proficiency by completing the English studies program through CMU's English Language Institute.
- Applicants must provide a third-party course-by-course credential evaluation and document verification
International15262 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 925 USD per credit during 24 months.
National11979 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 726 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State11979 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 726 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Mount Pleasant
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.