The Department’s one-year master’s program in Community Journalism is best suited for applicants who plan to pursue or continue a career in journalism. The program emphasizes the role of news media in communities (including small towns, urban areas or other kinds of communities), and is operated in partnership with the award-winning Anniston Star newspaper. This professional track is designed for those who seek to work professionally in writing, editing, visual journalism and/or digital journalism, but who also wish to develop their conceptual knowledge of the field, as well as critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Orientation to Graduate Studies
- Depth Reporting
- Media Production Tools (instruction in digital technologies)
- Journalism Theory and Research
- History of Journalism and the First Amendment
- Contemporary Issues and Ethics in Journalism
- Producing Community Journalism
- Master’s Project
- Practicum in Community News
- Seminar in Professional Journalism (newsroom internship in Anniston)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesJournalism View 106 other Masters in Journalism in United States
- Applicant data sheet and statement of purpose
- One transcript for each U.S. or international institution of higher education
- Admissions test scores less than five years old
- The application fee is $65 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents and $80 for international applicants
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Additional application materials (e.g., portfolios, writing samples, responses to essay questions, etc.) required by individual departments
- International applicants must submit one certified copy in the native language along with certified precise word-for-word English translations of all transcripts, diplomas, and certificates of degree.
International29230 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14615 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National10780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5390 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.