The Department of Geography is committed to the discovery, application, and dissemination of knowledge concerning the environment and society in order to help our students become global citizens, environmental stewards, policy makers, and scientists, and to improve the quality of life for the citizens of Alabama by helping better understand human impacts on the environment and interactions between society and Earth’s natural systems.
The MS degree in geography requires a minimum of 30 semester hours of graduate coursework and successful defense of a thesis. The 30 hours of required coursework for the MS include 6 hours of program requirements (GY500 and GY523), 6 hours of thesis research, and 12 hours in a concentration of the student’s choosing. Each student should work closely with the thesis advisor to create a curriculum of study tailored to his or her academic and career goals.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Research Methods and Traditions
- Quantitative Methods
- Forest History and Restoration
- Natural Hazards
- Land Use Regulations
- Field Studies in Africa
- Environmental Decision Making
- Environment and Society
- Ecosystem Services: Theory and Practice
- Topics in Global Environmental Change
- Extinction and Endangered Species
- Forest Ecosystem Management: Silviculture
- Soil Science
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesGeography View 176 other Masters in Geography in United States
- Applicant data sheet and statement of purpose
- One transcript for each U.S. or international institution of higher education
- Admissions test scores less than five years old
- The application fee is $65 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents and $80 for international applicants
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Additional application materials (e.g., portfolios, writing samples, responses to essay questions, etc.) required by individual departments
- International applicants must submit one certified copy in the native language along with certified precise word-for-word English translations of all transcripts, diplomas, and certificates of degree.
International29230 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14615 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National10780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5390 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.