UA’s Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics undertakes an integral role in educating aerospace engineering and engineering science and mechanics students, conducting innovative and exciting scientific research, and improving the economic development of the state of Alabama.
The department has a long and rich history dating to 1912 with the formation of the Department of Engineering Mechanics and to the late 1920s with the start of the aeronautics program. The two departments merged in 1996 to form the Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics. Today, with innovative programs and research, UA’s aerospace engineering continues to be an important training ground for future engineers across the state, region and nation.The Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics has graduated students who have achieved successful careers in industry, education, the military and government. These students have been able to utilize the technical education they received at the Capstone in careers in a wide range of fields ranging from engineering to computer science to business and medical fields.
MissionThe Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics will:
- provide high-quality undergraduate, graduate and continuing education that supports the aerospace industry
- attract and retain high-quality students
- conduct high-quality research on critical problems in the aerospace industry that will advance the body of scientific knowledge and support the department’s education programs
- serve individual practicing engineers and computer scientists, industry, government, educational entities, and technical societies through professional expertise, active involvement, and availability of facilities
VisionThe University of Alabama will be nationally recognized for its outstanding programs in aerospace engineering and engineering mechanics. The faculty will be renowned for excellence in teaching and with their students will make significant contributions to the state of knowledge in important technology fields. The instructional and research facilities will be outstanding by any reasonable measure. Industry and government entities will be interested in teaming with faculty on collaborative projects and will actively recruit our graduates. Potential students will be aware of our reputation and will rate our program among the best choices of places to study aerospace engineering and engineering mechanics.
GoalsThe Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics will:
- provide a nurturing educational environment for students of aerospace engineering and engineering mechanics to pursue either professional practice or advanced education
- prepare our graduates to assume leadership roles in their respective fields
- provide a research environment that allows faculty and students to significantly advance the state of knowledge in areas important to the practice of aerospace engineering and engineering mechanics
More informationVisit official programme website
- Orbital Mechanics
- Space Systems
- Airfoil and Wing Theory
- Advanced Dynamics of Flight
- Intermediate Fluid Mechanics
- Continuum Mechanics
- Intermediate Dynamics
- Theory of Elasticity
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesAerospace Engineering Mechanical Engineering View 308 other Masters in Mechanical Engineering in United States
- Applicant data sheet and statement of purpose
- One transcript for each U.S. or international institution of higher education
- Admissions test scores less than five years old
- The application fee is $65 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents and $80 for international applicants
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Additional application materials (e.g., portfolios, writing samples, responses to essay questions, etc.) required by individual departments
- International applicants must submit one certified copy in the native language along with certified precise word-for-word English translations of all transcripts, diplomas, and certificates of degree.
International29230 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14615 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National10780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5390 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.