Geography raduates may seek professional employment in, for example, locational analysis, regional planning, resource management, remote sensing, geographic information systems (GIS), computer cartography, historic preservation, and culturally-focused agencies and organizations.
Students completing the Master’s degree at Oklahoma State University are well-prepared to continue in doctoral programs, which place a greater emphasis on theoretical facets of Geography. Doctoral graduates often seek research and teaching positions at the University level; therefore, the doctoral program emphasizes analytical theory as well as higher-level research design and a broader, more substantive geographic knowledge base.
Graduate students in the program are expected to accomplish the following learning outcomes:
- develop the ability to communicate geographic information effectively orally and in writing at the appropriate master’s or doctoral level;
- develop apposite knowledge in geographic literature and research at the appropriate level;
- develop skills in tools for geographic data collection and methods of analysis at the appropriate level;
- be able to develop geographic creative components, theses, or dissertations that marshal evidence, analyze data, and synthesize meaningful conclusions;
- be able to identify and discuss significant geographic trends within their (three) chosen specialty areas of Geography (Ph.D. students); and
- become familiar with work in cognate fields.
More generally, students are also expected to:
- become engaged in the life of the department by attending colloquia and other departmental functions;
- become good university citizens by observing all policies relating to the responsible conduct of research, including academic integrity, and of various other graduate and professional student organizations; and
- become practitioners in the discipline of Geography, including attending professional meetings, joining and engaging in professional organizations, and preparing research results for publication.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Professional Development in Geography
- Geographical Analysis I
- History and Philosophy of Geography
- Current Geographic Research
- Cultural and Historical Geography Seminar
- Geography of Sport, Recreation and Leisure Seminar
- Seminar in Cultural and Political Ecology
- Seminar in Urban Geography
- Seminar in Political Geography
- Seminar in Transportation Geography
- Seminar in Historical Geography
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeography View 184 other Masters in Geography in United States
- Graduate application for admission and application fee ($50 domestic/$75 international);
- Official transcripts from each higher education institution attended;
- Recent results of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). The Department of Geography hasno minimum required score for admission but uses scores to rank/assess applicants;
- International students must submit current TOEFL scores;
- Current résumé or curriculum vitae (CV);
- Email addresses for three individuals who will upload letters of reference (at least two letters should be from university professors and at least one must be from the student’s most recent institution/program attended);
- A letter of application describing the student’s academic background and vocational interests as they relate to faculty research specialties.
- Writing sample (used to gauge students’ current writing skills and hence prospects of success):
International34588 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 34588 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National29560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 29560 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State19230 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19230 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.