The department also offers coursework in African history, Middle Eastern history, and Asian history.
The Boston College M.A.in History is a “taught” degree, meaning that while students will take at least one research seminar, and have the opportunity to write a Master’s Thesis, the degree is largely based on course work. The M.A. is a terminal degree, but many students will use it as an opportunity to strengthen their application to Ph.D. programs. Others will find employment in education, public history, archives and the private sector.
Plan of Study
All candidates for the M.A. in history are encouraged to pursue an individualized course of study developed in conjunction with their faculty advisor and selected by the student during the first year in the program. In making their selection of courses and seminars, students are urged to widen their chronological and cultural horizons while deepening and specifying one special area of concentration.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Major fields are:
- US history
- Medieval history
- Early Modern European history
- Modern European history
- British and Irish
- Asian history
- Latin American history
- Middle Eastern history
- International and Global history
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 101 other Masters in Modern History in United States
- an application form, which can be found on the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences website
- a statement of purpose (one or two pages) emphasizing your intellectual interests and your reasons for choosing Boston College
- undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- GRE General Test is optional. GRE general scores taken within the last five years.
- at least three letters of recommendation
- a writing sample (preferably 10 to 15 pages) of a research paper written for a recent course or one written expressly for the application
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for international applicants
International1768 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1768 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National1768 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1768 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.