Through face-to-face instruction, online experiences, and community-based projects, you will learn to provide culturally responsive literacy instruction in classrooms and in school-wide programs where all students are helped to learn at high levels. The literacy education birth-grade 12 program prepares you for a range of jobs in the field of literacy education.
Our graduates become outstanding classroom teachers, literacy specialists, and literacy coaches; with additional preparation, some become faculty members in higher education, school administrators, state department administrators, professional development providers, and language arts consultants.
Why Literacy Education: Birth to Grade 12 at Syracuse University?
- Complete your degree in one calendar year, or study part time while working with flexible course options – all classes are in the afternoon, evening, or summer to accommodate working teachers.
- You will take classes with full time faculty who are deeply involved in educational theory, research, and cutting-edge practices in literacy development.
- The program aligns with the professional standards of the International Literacy Association.
- Small student cohorts and a highly engaged alumni network mean you get to know your teachers and peers who will become your lifelong colleagues.
- Intensive field experiences provide rich teaching experience with youth from diverse backgrounds. Field experiences include the full range of child development and school grades, as well as opportunities to participate in our Summer Literacy Clinic.
- Take part in School of Education short-term study abroad programs around the world. Through the Himan Brown Fellowship, School of Education students are also eligible for exclusive funding to support study abroad experiences.
Officially accredited and/or recognized by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Child Abuse Prevention
- Safe and Healthy Learning Environments 0 credits
- Child Abduction Prevention
- Violence Prevention
- Fire and Arson Prevention
- Prevention of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Drug Abuse
- Highway Safety
- Dignity for all Students
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation Special Education Early Childhood Education View 724 other Masters in Special Education in United States
- Bachelor’s degree and a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0.
- Official transcript of all undergraduate and graduate study.
- Competitive scores on one of the following admissions entrance exams: Graduate Record Examination (GRE); Miller Analogy Test (MAT); or other acceptable, nationally normed admissions examination; or a passing score on the Praxis: Core Academic Skills for Educators, edTPA, or ATS-W exam.
- A personal essay describing the candidate’s beliefs about student learning, commitment to diversity, enthusiasm for learning, willingness to foster collaboration, and ethics.
- 3 Letters of recommendation, at least one from a faculty member.
- Resume or CV.
- An earned or about to be earned New York State initial certification in any teaching area.
International31212 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31212 USD per year during 12 months.
National31212 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31212 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Syracuse
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.