It prepares students for the successful practice of historical scholarship in a variety of fields including archives, libraries, historical sites, museums, government agencies, businesses, publishing and secondary education, as well as for advanced study in doctoral programs.
Student learning outcomes:
- Develop the ability to understand the processes and methodologies historians use to study the past
- Develop the ability to understand and think critically about scholarly works of history
- Develop the ability to do historical research and present interpretations in writing
- Develop the ability to understand the myriad of forces that shape human experiences and critically weigh change and continuity over time
- Historiography and Methodology
- Studies in American History
- Studies in European History
- Studies in Ethnic and Social History
- Studies in Virginia and Southern History
- Studies in African-American History
- Readings in American History
- Readings in European History
- Readings in Transatlantic History
- Readings in Ethnic and Social History
- Readings in Virginia and Southern History
- Readings in African-American History
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory View 494 other Masters in History in United States
- Application to graduate study, including the application for Virginia in-state tuition.
- Personal statement submitted with the online application.
- $70 application fee.
- Three reference letters submitted through the online application.
- Transcripts from each institution you attended are required.
- Official test scores, if required by your program.
- Your resume, if requested by the department to which you are applying.
International27971 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27971 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National14497 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14497 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.