Universities in Richmond
The VCU School of Social Work was founded by a small group of Richmond citizens interested in improving the social conditions of Virginia’s urban and rural poor. Their efforts led to a training school for social workers, the first of its kind in the South.
Since our formation in 1812, we have sustained the intention of our founders to provide education for Christian ministry that is scholarly, pastoral, and engaged with contemporary life. In July 2010, Union-PSCE changed its name to Union Presbyterian Seminary to reflect a new vision for its future, signifying the new creation in which God is calling this historic seminary to participate.